FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Contact: NEBRASKA CITY UTILITIES
Date October 5, 2017 402-873-3353
NEBRASKA CITY UTILITIES encourages winterizing your home to save on your natural gas & electric heating bill
With colder temperatures on the way, NEBRASKA CITY UTILITIES encourages its natural gas & electric customers to take some simple, low cost steps now to winterize homes and save money on heating bills by reducing natural gas and/or electric usage.
NEBRASKA CITY UTILITIES encourages homeowners to consider implementing some of these low-cost measures:
- Inspect windows and doors for drafts and apply or replace caulk to insulate and repair cracks in walls and around doors and windows;
- Set your thermostat to the lowest comfortable temperature and dress in layers. Lower it a few degrees before leaving the house or going to bed. If possible, use a programmable thermostat to automatically control your home’s temperature;
- Seal leaks in furnace air ducts;
- Remember to change or clean furnace air filters monthly;
- Keep window blinds, shades and draperies open during the day to allow sunlight to warm your home. Close them at night for added insulation;
- Set ceiling fans to run clockwise, drawing air up and keeping warm air circulating;
- Lower your water heater to 115 or 120 degrees;
The Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) (800) 383-4278 may be available to help customers that are struggling paying their heating bill. To inquire where to apply for LIHEAP funding, call the National Energy Assistance Referral Project at (866) 674-6327 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or go to the LIHEAP Clearinghouse website: (liheapch.acf.hhs.gov).
- As your local public utility, NEBRASKA CITY UTILITIES strives to provide the best customer service possible while providing clean, efficient and reliable natural gas and electric services.