Pursuant to Chapter 70 Article 16 of Nebraska Revised Statutes
1. All bills are due and payable the day they are mailed from our business office.
2. Payment at net is allowed if paid by the due date shown on the bill. After that date the bill is delinquent and payable at the gross amount.
3. A reminder notice will be given by mail after the due date.
4. If the past due amount is not paid within six (6) days of the date of the reminder notice a disconnect notice will be sent by first class mail. Subscriber will be given seven (7) business days to pay the bill or arrange for an installment payment plan. The notice will contain the following information:
a. The reason for proposed disconnection.
b. A statement of intention to disconnect unless payment has been made by date shown on the disconnect notice.
5. In case of inquiry or complaint in regards to disconnect notice, the following applies:
a. Contact the Office Manager, Assistant Office Manager or other designated staff at 100 Central Avenue, Nebraska City, Nebraska, phone number (402) 873-3353 during normal business hours of 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM, Monday through Friday excluding holidays. After hours arrangements may be left as a voice message provided a phone number is also included for utility staff to return the call.
b. A subscriber shall have the right to request a conference, regarding a dispute over the disconnection, prior to the disconnect date.
c. No disconnect shall be made prior to the requested conference being held.
d. Upon such written request for a conference being given to the designated utility employee, he/she shall set the time and date within fourteen (14) days of the date of the request. The utility shall notify the subscriber in writing of the time and date. This conference shall be informal and not governed by the Nebraska Rules of Evidence. Failure by the subscriber to attend such conference shall relieve the utility of any further action prior to the disconnection of service. The subscriber may, prior to the scheduled conference, give good and sufficient reason that they will be unable to attend the conference at the appointed time and date. The utility shall make a reasonable effort to reschedule the conference.
e. Based solely on the evidence presented, the employee of this utility shall make and render such decision as he/she shall deem fit. Disconnection of the service shall be the last resort after all other remedies are exhausted.
f. Any decision made as a result of the conference may be appealed to the Office Manager of the Nebraska City Utilities. The procedure of such appeal is on file in this office and upon request will be given to the subscriber.
g. At such appeal hearing you may be represented by legal counsel or other spokesperson. Files and records pertaining to this dispute may be examined and copied at least three (3) or more days before the scheduled hearing. Witnesses may present evidence. Other witnesses may be cross-examined and confronted. A record of the proceedings may be made at the subscriber’s expense.
h. When an appeal has been filed, this office shall set and notify the subscriber of the time and place. This appeal shall follow the set procedures.
i. The disconnect may be postponed by filing with our office, within five (5) days after receipt of the disconnect notice, a duly licensed physician’s, physician’s assistant’s or an advanced practice registered nurse’s certificate certifying someone in the household has an existing illness or handicap that would suffer an immediate and serious health hazard if the disconnect is made. A thirty (30) day postponement will be granted, one time only, from the date of filing that certificate.
j. THERE WILL BE A SERVICE CHARGE OF $35.00 WITHIN THE CITY LIMITS OF NEBRASKA CITY, NEBRASKA, AND $45.00 OUTSIDE THE CITY LIMITS OF NEBRASKA CITY, NEBRASKA, PLUS PAYMENT IN FULL OR OTHER ARRANGEMENTS MADE AFTER ANY DISCONNECT OR SERVICE TRIP MADE BECAUSE OF A DELINQUENT BILL. AFTER NORMAL BUSINESS HOURS, THE SERVICE CHARGE WILL BE $45.00 WITHIN THE CITY LIMITS OF NEBRASKA CITY, NEBRASKA, AND $65.00 OUTSIDE THE CITY LIMITS OF NEBRASKA CITY, NEBRASKA. FULL PAYMENT MUST BE MADE BY CASH OR MONEY ORDER BEFORE SERVICE WILL BE RECONNECTED AFTER NORMAL BUSINESS HOURS.
k. Interruptions or disconnections made necessary for repairs, maintenance, health and safety reasons do not apply to this act.
6. Any subscriber who has previously been identified as a welfare recipient to the Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services shall receive such disconnect notice by Certified Mail and notice of such proposed termination shall be given to the Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services.
a. Domestic subscribers who are welfare recipients or other subscribers may qualify for assistance in payment of their utility bill and should contact the Department of Health and Human Services in that regard.
7. Domestic subscribers may arrange with the utility for an installment payment plan.
a. If an installment payment plan has been agreed upon, failure to comply with this payment plan may result in immediate disconnection of service.
8. DEPOSITS WILL BE REQUIRED IF SERVICE IS DISCONNECTED OR IF A SERVICE TRIP IS MADE BECAUSE OF A DELINQUENT BILLING WITH NEBRASKA CITY UTILITES. THE AMOUNT OF THIS DEPOSIT WILL BE TWO TIMES THE HIGHEST MONTHLY BILLING AMOUNT IN THE CUSTOMER’S PRIOR TWELVE (12) MONTHS BILLING HISTORY.